What We Believe
The sole basis of our beliefs is the Bible, God’s infallible written Word, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments. We believe that it was uniquely, verbally and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit and that it was written without error (inerrant) in the original manuscripts. It is the supreme and final authority in all matters on which it speaks.
We accept those areas of doctrinal teaching on which, historically, there has been general agreement among all true Christians. Because of the specialized calling of our movement, we desire to allow for freedom of conviction on other doctrinal matters, provided that any interpretation is based upon the Bible alone, and that no such interpretation shall become an issue which hinders the ministry to which God has called us.
- There is one true God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – each of whom possesses equally all the attributes of Deity and the characteristics of personality. Jesus Christ is God, the living Word, who became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. Hence, He is perfect Deity and true humanity united in one person forever.
- He lived a sinless life and voluntarily atoned for human sins by dying on the cross as a substitute, thus satisfying divine justice and accomplishing salvation for all who trust in Him alone.
- He rose from the dead in the same body, though glorified, in which He lived and died. He ascended bodily into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God the Father, where He, the only mediator between God and humanity, continually makes intercession for His own.
- Adam and Eve were originally created in the image of God. They sinned by disobeying God; thus, they were alienated from their Creator. That historic fall brought all people under divine condemnation.
- Human nature is corrupted. As a result, all people are totally unable to please God. Everyone is in need of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
- Salvation is wholly a work of God’s free grace and is not the work, in whole or in part, of human works or goodness or religious ceremony. God imputes His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, and thereby justified them in His sight.
- It is the privilege of all who are born again of the Spirit to be assured of their salvation from the very moment in which they trust Christ as their Savior. This assurance is not based upon any kind of human merit, but is produced by the witness of the Holy Spirit, who confirms in the believer the testimony of God in His written word.
- The Holy Spirit has come into the world to reveal and glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to individuals. He convicts and draws sinners to Christ, imparts new life to them, continually indwells them from the moment of spiritual birth and seals them until the day of redemption. His fullness, power and control are appropriated in the believer’s life by faith.
- Believers are called to live so in the power of the indwelling Spirit that they will not fulfill the lust of the flesh but will bear fruit to the glory of God.
- Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church, His Body, which is composed of all people, living and dead, who have been joined to Him through saving faith. God admonishes His people to assemble together regularly for worship, for participation in ordinances, for edification through the Scriptures and for mutual encouragement.
- At physical death the believer enters immediately into eternal, conscious fellowship with the Lord and awaits the resurrection of the body to everlasting glory and blessing.
- At physical death the unbeliever enters immediately into eternal, conscious separation from the Lord and awaits the resurrection of the body to everlasting judgment and condemnation.
- Jesus Christ will come again to the earth – personally, visibly and bodily – to consummate history and the eternal plan of God.
- The Lord Jesus Christ commanded all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to disciple people from every nation. The fulfillment of that Great Commission requires that all worldly and personal ambitions be subordinated to a total commitment to “Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.”
What We Do
Josh McDowell Ministry exists to serve others until the whole world hears about Jesus Christ.
The Vision of Josh McDowell Ministry:
True followers of Jesus everywhere who live, defend and share their faith.
For more than 50 years, the ministry of Josh McDowell has touched people around the world. The following stories show that every ministry book purchased, donation given, event attended, and prayer prayed advances the mission so that the whole world will hear about Jesus Christ and that lives will forever be changed. Do you have a story how Josh McDowell Ministry changed a life? Let us know!
Read more stories here >
Please join us! Josh McDowell Ministry works hard to provide innovative solutions for influencers around the world to effectively lead their young people and congregations into a relationship with Jesus Christ so that they can live healthy and fulfilling lives.
Send God’s Truth to Seekers in Closed Countries
We need your help today to equip our missionaries in North Africa and the Middle East with vital evangelism tools. When faced with the reality of imprisonment, harsh beatings, verbal abuse and even death, few people jump at the chance to preach the gospel.
You’re Invited to Join Truth Builders
Truth Builders are the Ministry’s most committed supporters.
When you join Truth Builders, your monthly gifts will help provide steady ministry support directly where most needed to help share the gospel, explain the message of Jesus and equip people to live out their faith.
Share the Gospel Online
Online initiatives provide the perfect platform to meets the spiritual needs of people globally by reaching into any geographic or political region in the world — going where missionaries can’t go — and sharing truth with those who may otherwise seem inaccessible.