Bible Reading: 2 Timothy 1:3-8
God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
“I just know it,” Tyler erupted. “If I say anything about Jesus to my friends, I’m going to be an instant reject. Last year a friend of mine from church started witnessing to the guys on the soccer team. By the time they got done making fun of him, I practically had to peel his lips off the floor.”
Okay. Let’s be honest. Talk about what would happen if you became part of God’s rescue team. How would the people in your world react if you talked to them about Jesus? Let’s think about the worst things that could happen.
• People could stop being your friend.
• People could talk behind your back.
• People could reject you for taking a stand.
• People could uninvite you to their birthday parties.
• People could laugh at you for believing in God.
I’m not saying that none of those things will ever happen if we tell people about Jesus. But did you know there’s a good chance that great things will happen? Let’s think about some of those:
• People could become your bigger and better friends.
• People could say thanks to God for you.
• People could respect you for taking a stand.
• People could invite you to their re-birthday parties in heaven forever.
• People could come to know Jesus.
No one likes to be made fun of. But Christians come up with a million excuses not to get personally involved in God’s rescue mission. We might worry that we’re not good enough, or that we don’t know what to say. But our biggest fear is usually of how non-Christians will react. In other words, what people think is more important than the astounding message of freedom we have to share with them. God doesn’t want us to be afraid.
Trust God to give you his confidence. Then take a step of faith and talk with others. As you do, you’ll discover God’s courage in your life—just when you need it. You’ll probably even get to keep your lips!
TALK: How can you boldly share Christ’s love—just like Christ boldly stepped into your world to love you?
PRAY: God, help us to overcome the fears that keep us from talking to others about you.
ACT: Pick a friend you’re terrified to talk with about Jesus—and talk! Ask your family to pray for you before you go, and then report back to them how it went.