Bible Reading: Luke 2:8-14
Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on earth to all whom God favors. Luke 2:14
EVER SINCE the angels appeared on the hillside with their great news of joy and peace, Christmas has been a time for singing. You’ve probably sung each of the following Christmas songs below-except that the titles have been changed just to mess with your mind. See if you can figure out the real titles-the first one, for example, is “Deck the Halls.”
- Embellish the interior passageways.
- Listen, the celestial messengers produce harmonious sounds.
- The Christmas preceding all others.
- Move this way, entire assembly of those who are loyal in their belief.
- Expectation of arrival by mythical, masculine perennial gift giver.
- The first person nominative plural of a trio of far eastern heads of state.
- Small masculine master of percussionistic cylinders.
- Natal celebration devoid of color, rather albino.
- Jovial yuletide desired for the second person singular or plural by us.
- Nocturnal time span of unbroken quietness.
The angels sang, “Peace on earth,” and Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace (see Isaiah 9:6). He came to bring peace to a world in turmoil. He came to bring peace into your life when things seem to be falling apart. God’s brand of peace starts with trusting Christ personally and allowing his peace to rule your life. It spreads to others as his peace transforms your life.
Jesus came to be the great peacemaker, and as you grow in his peace you become a peacemaker too. The peace that Jesus provided-the peace that you can experience today-is the peace of forgiveness and reconciliation. That’s what Christmas is all about: God reconciling with his human creation so that you can be friends again with him and others.
Spread God’s peace. That’s a birthday present Jesus will really appreciate.
REFECT: How will you share the peace of Jesus today?
PRAY: Jesus, you brought real peace to my world. Make me a peacemaker too.
1. Deck the Halls; 2. Hark, the Herald Angels Sing; 3. The First Noel; 4. 0 Come, All Ye Faithful; 5. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town; 6. We Three Kings; 7. Little Drummer Boy; 8. White Christmas; 9. We Wish You a Merry Christmas; 10. Silent Night