Bible Reading: John 10:6-10
My purpose is to give life in all its fullness. John 10: 10
EVERYONE WANTS to have the fullness Jesus promises in John 10:10. But you only find that kind of excitement when you apply principles that let that full life happen. Here are six to consider:
- Have the right focus. The Bible consistently says it’s better to give than to receive. Check this basic life principle: The most fulfilled people in the world are those more concerned with giving than with getting. Yet a root of selfishness still lives inside most of us. It says, “Just take care of yourself.” Listen to that lie, and life loses its zing.
- Climb out of the same old rut. People who escape a life of boredom do it by seeking new interests and opportunities. They’re not afraid to try something unusual, or even something scary.
- Make the most of your alone times. Are you afraid to be alone? Are you comfortable with silence? Some people can’t live without a constant buzz of people around-it keeps them from facing the emptiness inside. They fill their lives with a blur of activity-all to avoid facing themselves. Learn to use potentially boring “alone times” to read, pray, and ponder your life.
- Take personal responsibility for your life. You’re in the middle of an opportunity to mature. It’s easy to want independence while continuing to resist responsibility and blame Mom and Dad for whatever unhappiness, loneliness, and boredom you experience. Face it: You are responsible for your own life.
- Seek God’s will for your life. Some students’ lives are boring and empty because they aren’t listening to the Lord. He might be trying to get your attention through your youth leader, Christian friend, Bible reading, or the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit. Got ears?
- Adjust your attitude. God can’t lead you into good things if you don’t have a teachable, positive attitude he can work with. Are you looking for his opportunities to expand your vision and lead you to radical new challenges?
And one huge last thing: Jesus is the ultimate answer for loneliness rooted in lack of purpose. If you’re missing fullness in life, Jesus, your friend, wants to grab you by the hand and lead you into some better-than-bungee-jumping life experiences.
REFLECT: Are you ready to follow Jesus in these steps to full life in him?
PRAY: Talk to him about filling your life today.