Bible Reading: 1 John 2:7-11
I am not writing a new commandment, for it is an old one you have always had. .. to love one another. 1 John 2:7
TRUE OR FALSE: When Jesus came to earth, he tossed all the commands of the Old Testament on the back burner. He made them no longer important.
If you answered true, sorry. Jesus said, “I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them” (Matthew 5: 17).
The New Testament command to love God and people summarizes the Ten Commandments. It isn’t a substitute for them. In God’s Old Testament laws you find practical guidance for fulfilling God’s command to love. Each ofthe Ten Commandments teaches you the loving thing to do-and the unloving thing to avoid-in your relationship with God and others.
- Do not worship any other gods besides me says your devotion to God should be pure-unrivaled by any person, thing, or idea.
- Do not make idols of any kind says that you should focus your loving dedication to God on him-not on religious practices, props, or substitutes.
- Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God says your loyalty to God should include respect and reverence for his person and his name.
- Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy says your commitment to God should include honoring him by spending time each week in worship and rest.
- Honor your father and mother says you should express love for your parents by respecting and obeying them.
- Do not murder says you should express your love for others through huge regard for human life.
- Do not commit adultery says you should demonstrate love for your spouse or future spouse through sexual purity and faithfulness.
- Do not steal says you should express love for others through respect for their property and possessions.
- Do not testify falsely against your neighbor says you should show love for others through honesty and truthfulness in all your dealings.
- Do not covet says that your love for others should focus on what you can give others instead of how you can get what belongs to them.
In his commands to “do this” and “don’t do that,” God wisely and clearly spelled out what love looks like. You have an incredibly caring God!
REFLECT: Say it in your own words: What good do Old Testament laws do you?
PRAY: Ask God to teach you right and wrong through his unchanging commands.